Director Brian Freeland has announced the cast of Denver arts journalist John Moore’s new play ‘Waiting for Obama,’ an official selection into the 2016 New York Fringe Festival. The play will presented by the new Wild Blindness Productions, in partnership with the Bas Bleu Theatre Company.
‘Waiting for Obama’ is the story of one Colorado Springs family’s response to loss. It is intended to be a provocative but evenhanded and even fanciful examination of the incendiary issue of gun violence in America. The story centers around a father and his grown son who are convinced that President Obama is coming for their guns. And in the world of this play, they might be right.
“I feel truly blessed to be part of a play that shines a light on one of the largest unaddressed tragedies that plagues the United States of America today,” said actor Laurence Curry, who plays President Barack Obama in the play.
Moore says “Waiting for Obama” hopes to examine how American families are becomingly increasingly entrenched and divided by ideological differences. “We’re not listening to each other,” he said. “Sadly, we’re not even talking to each other.”
The estimable ensemble cast (pending approval of Actors Equity Association) includes a who’s-who of the local theatre community:
- Brett Aune*: Recently: Curious Theatre’s “Venus in Fur,” Arvada Center’s “Cabaret.” Former Artistic Director of Denver’s HorseChart Theatre Company.
- Amelia Corrada: Upcoming senior Theatre major at Denver School of the Arts. Recently: “Spring Awakening,” DCPA Theatre Company’s “Benediction.” Upcoming: Catherine in The Edge Theatre’s “A View from the Bridge.”
- Laurence Curry*: Recently: DCPA Theatre Company’s “All the Way,” Curious Theatre’s “Brother/Sister Plays”; choreographer of Denver School of the Arts’ “Spring Awakening.”
- Chris Kendall: Ovation and Henry Award-winner whose credits include Boulder Ensemble Theatre Company, DCPA Theatre Company, Colorado Shakespeare Festival and more. Recently: Edge Theater’s “Casa Valentina.”
- Jessica Robblee: co-writer, co-director and performer for Buntport Theater’s all-ages programmming. Recently: DCPA Theatre Company’s “All the Way,” Curious/Wonderbound’s “Dust.”
- Leslie O’Carroll*: Recently: Arvada Center’s “Mrs. Mannerly.” Coming up: DCPA Theatre Company’s “A Christmas Carol.”
- Luke Sorge: Recently: Edge Theater’s “Casa Valentina.” Coming up: World premiere of “Full Code” for Boulder Ensemble Theater Company.
*Member, Actors Equity Association.
Director Brian Freeland is the founder of Denver’s The LIDA Project and co-artistic director of Countdown to Zero, specializing in the field of new performance works. Recent titles include “Watershed: Parts 1 and 2,” and “Ludlow 1914” (a look at the Ludlow Massacre as a dramatic vaudeville.) Now based in New York, he will be directing the new operetta “Jack of Hearts” for Mind the Art NYC this fall.
John Moore is the former longtime theatre critic at The Denver Post; founder of the Denver Actors Fund, a nonprofit that in three years has raised more than $115,000 for members of the Denver metro theatre community facing situational medical need; and currently Senior Arts Journalist for the Denver Center for the Performing Arts covering theatre across Colorado.
With “Waiting for Obama” an independent start-up project, Moore has launched a crowdsourcing campaign to help cover the estimated $20,000 cost to fly, lodge and pay the creative team in New York. For more information, or to donate, click here.
“This as an incredible opportunity to showcase an all-Colorado creative team on a New York stage,” said Moore. “And given my place in the theatre community, it’s all the more important to me to set an example by paying these artists a professional wage for their work.”
Runthrough rehearsals of “Waiting for Obama” will be held in Denver and Fort Collins for friends and supporters as the team prepares for the New York Fringe Festival in August. No advance ticketing.
‘Waiting for Obama’ rehearsal schedule:
- 7:30 p.m. Thursday, July 28, Buntport Theatre, 717 Lipan St., Denver MAP IT
- 7:30 p.m. Friday, July 29, Buntport Theatre, 717 Lipan St., Denver
- 7:30 p.m. Saturday, July 30, Buntport Theatre, 717 Lipan St., Denver
- 2 p.m. Sunday, July 31, Buntport Theatre, 717 Lipan St., Denver
- 7:30 p.m. Monday, Aug. 1, Bas Bleu Theatre, 401 Pine St., Fort Collins MAP IT
- 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 4, Buntport Theatre, 717 Lipan St., Denver
- 7:30 p.m. Friday, Aug. 5, Buntport Theatre, 717 Lipan St., Denver
- 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 6, Buntport Theatre, 717 Lipan St., Denver
- 2 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 7, Buntport Theatre, 717 Lipan St., Denver
Rehearsal schedule subject to change.
The Producer of ‘Waiting For Obama’ is Jeannene Bragg. Show sponsors include Isabelle Clark, Diana and Mike Kinsey, and Jim Billings.